The following is an overview description of the application process for the HOMeAGE doctoral researcher positions. Before making an application please review the details below and the job/project descriptions for each individual DR available at www.icsg.ie/homeage.
General and project specific eligibility requirements
All applicants must fulfill the following general eligibility criteria, or otherwise will be rejected:
- must have completed a Master’s degree or equivalent at the time of start (Sept 2023)
- must not have a doctoral degree at the date of their recruitment;
- should comply with the mobility rules, where they must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting organisation for more than 12 months, at any point during the 36 months immediately before their recruitment date (short stays such as holidays or compulsory military service are not taken into account);
Project specific eligibility criteria must also be met. Please see individual job descriptions for these criteria.
Essential language requirements
The working language of HOMeAGE is English. Applicants are required to either be:
- A native English speaker;
- A non-native English speaker who has demonstrable sufficient competencies in oral and written English. If successful, the candidate maybe required (depending on the essential criteria of the individual host organisation) to fulfil the academic IELTS (minimum score: 7.5), TOEFL internet-based (minimum score: 113) tests or an agreed equivalent.
- A non-native English speaker who has completed a Masters degree through English.
How to apply
You can apply for one specific DR position or for multiple DR Positions. In the application form we will ask for you to select all positions you wish to be considered for during the process in rank order. *Please note that you only need to develop a research proposal for your primary choice.
Your application must consist of three documents:
- Application form with eligibility declaration (Word file);
- Supporting materials, which must include: (a) curriculum vitae; (b) motivation letter; (c) evidence of qualifications (e.g. formal transcript and degree certificates); (d) English language certificate, if applicable; and (e) two references (a single PDF-file);
- *Research proposal (2000 words maximum) based on the applicant’s interpretation of the selected project – please see application checklist at the end of this document for details (Word file).
All applications must be submitted by 17th February 2023 at 6pm CET to HOMeAGE@universityofgalway.ie
Interviews of shortlisted applicants
All shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview. It is intended that the interviews will take place online in March 2023.
- Completed application form
- motivation letter (indicating why you wish to conduct this research project and why you believe you would successfully be able to complete this project).
- Curriculum Vitae
- certified transcripts of results of Masters’ degree in relevant discipline.
- evidence of IELTS or TOEFL scores for non-native English speakers
- 2,000 word research proposal in the following format:
Proposal format (not to exceed 2,000 words)
- Background to the research proposal, objectives and main research question – Suggested word count: 600 words.
- Methodology and proposed timeline for completion of research – Suggested word count: 1000 words.
- Original contribution to knowledge of the proposed research (including potential for broader societal impact) – Suggested word count: 400 words.
- Literature references (in author/date format) – Max. 20 references (not included in word count)
Any queries on this process can be directed to HOMeAGE@universityofgalway.ie